Quote of the Week

"Love is a word that some entertain ... if you find it you have won the game" ~ Stevie Nicks

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Don't Blame it on Rachael...Blame it on the Frankenchicken

Smart Chicken is expensive!  So all I can say is thank God I didn't spend my money on the Smart Chicken.  It would not have made this night any better and I would have just felt worse for wasting my money.   Rachael and Food Network joined our party last night - here's what I made:

Double Stuffed Chicken Breasts
(from Every Day with Rachael Ray October 2009)
Double-Stuffed Chicken Breasts  and...

Sesame Broccoli
(from Food Network Magazine October 2010)
Picture of Sesame Broccoli Recipe

Here's the deal with the chicken.  First, by no fault of Rachael's and her fine culinary team, the chicken I was able to find at my local grocer that was bone in - skin on was NOT the coveted Smart Chicken.  The breasts I bought, who's producer will go unnamed, were HUGE.  No normal chicken will grow to have a breast this size - these were clearly some sort of Frankenchicken.  I recall reading about chickens who are fed feed and hormones causing them to grow such large breasts they cannot even stand up.  I almost cried when I opened the package and saw that I had unknowlingly taken part in such a cruel and disgusting practice.  No one could even eat a breast that big. 

But I'm on a mission, these poor chickens were already dead and in my fridge, so I must press on.  Preparation of this recipe was easier than expected.  Taste, however, was less than expected.  This is just a boring dish with little flavor.  I give it only 2 stars - and one of those is just because it may have been better with real chicken rather than Frankenchicken.  I'm guessing you sacrifice tasts for size.  Typically American preference don't you think?   No one hated it but no one loved it either and I won't be making this again. 

I am a huge broccoli lover and the Sesame Broccoli however was delicious.  But here's the challenge with fresh broccoli - hello did the dog poop in the house?  Oh no - sorry - just cooking broccoli.  You know what I'm talking about.  But there is a solution.  Not wind, rain, sleet or snow stops me from taking my electric steamer out on the porch and cooking it out there.  No smell to ruin people's appetites.  Anyway, the recipe was super easy and without a doubt will be served here again.  The Food Network staff successfully saved our party tonight.

On the weight loss front - well - I'm just glad it's not weigh in day.  I didn't eat breakfast or lunch yesterday, then ate about 1/4 of the stuffed chicken breast (those things were so huge I couldn't even eat HALF of one) and about 2 cups of broccoli with the sesame sauce.  I have to eat at least 3 small balanced meals with protein in each to lose.  That scale won't budge on one meal a day so tomorrow I must do better. 

On the menu for Wednesday - our first time ever with flank steak.  Using the Dry Rub recipe from the EDWRR June/July Grilling Issue.  However it turns out, at least it's not Frankenchicken.

Links to recipes:
http://www.rachaelraymag.com/Recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipe-index/dinner-recipes/Double-Stuffed-Chicken-Breasts
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/sesame-broccoli-recipe/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment